Digital Marketing Trends of 2021
Review these innovations in digital (digital) marketing to identify opportunities to improve leads and sales. There is still a huge interest in digital marketing trends and marketing innovations for 2021.
Every year, for the past ten years, experts have been assessing the digital marketing landscape and making recommendations on digital marketing trends that marketers should focus on in the future.
In this article, we will tell you about the key trends and key events in the field of digital marketing that companies can use to stimulate growth with:
- Improved range through digital channels
- Increasing the engagement of your audience in the digital environment
- It is better to manage digital marketing in order to integrate it into marketing activities
Need a plan to create a winning marketing strategy?
Start today by using a proven step-by-step process to optimize your marketing.
In truth, at a high level, trends in digital marketing tactics are similar every year – with a great interest in research, social and electronic marketing, as well as new methods of web design and content marketing to attract and transform our audience. Traditionally, technological innovations have been the driving force behind digital marketing trends, including changes in:
- Digital signs : Innovations in the activities of FAMGA de Facebook Inc (FB), Apple Inc (AAPL), Microsoft Corp (MSFT), Google (GOOG)(You can also read the article: The difference between Google Analytics and Google Webmaster ), etc. Amazon.com Inc (AMZN)
- Martech vendors: in particular, major cloud marketing players with the largest R&D budgets, including Salesforce, Oracle, HubSpot and companies with a broader user base focused on SMEs, such as Mailchimp
- Independent standardization organizations: including the World Wide Web Consortium or W3C, whose founder and current head is Tim Berners-lEe; the lIving Standard Web Hypertext Application Technologies Working Group, or the WHATWG and et Engineering Interns Task Force, or the IETF.
Usually trends do not depend on economic factors, but this year it is not so. Of course, the big difference affecting changes in marketing investments in 2021 is due to the chaos that COVID-19 has caused around the world. While there were some winners in some sectors where demand was steady or even increasing, many fell. Regardless of the industry, low-cost or free growth methods are more important than ever before.
- Privacy and consumer consent are important new technologies on the marketing curve, but it is surprising that this does not apply to both curves, especially considering that one of the biggest trends in advertising in 2020 are the steps taken by Apple, Google and Mozilla to strengthen privacy controls for their users. in their browsers, which threaten to significantly undermine the advertising models of Facebook, Google and ad networks.
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning for marketing fall into the “depression of disappointment”. This is in line with the results of digital marketing management research among marketers, who demonstrate a relative lack of enthusiasm for the introduction of AI and machine learning, despite the number of vendors offering AI solutions. The study also shows that many companies have a low level of maturity in their digital marketing, so currently only 10-20% of companies with the scale and skills to deploy AI use it.
- Marketing centers (cloud) and email automation will soon become widespread. Most of the methods described in this article are already available if you use a capable cloud marketing.
- There are fewer new innovations than in previous years, since the stimulating part of the marketing curve is rare, which suggests that relatively few new technologies are emerging.
Recommendation 1. Organic search: monitor main and EAT updates
In 2020, major updates had a significant impact on organic business visibility in certain sectors.
“Every day Google usually publishes one or more changes aimed at improving our search results. Most of them are invisible, but gradually help us to continue to improve. We seek to validate these updates when we believe there is useful information that webmasters, content producers, or others can obtain about them.”
Recent reviews and case studies often cite the eternal importance of quality content influencing signals of experience, credibility and trust. Thus, anyone who is serious about participating in the search should get a copy of the latest search quality recommendations in order to compare their contents.
Recommendation 2. Organic Research: Explore the possibilities based on structured data and SERPs functions.
I respect Bill Slavski as a close follower of Google’s latest patents and innovations. Therefore, when he pronounces structured data, they acquire importance and develop, it is worth listening to them.
This article can be found on the Internet, in which Bluearray makes predictions about how structured data will change in the future. These predictions are already coming true, because in September 2020 we saw the first example of structured fragments in search results, which indicates a future trend.
Recommendation 3. Organic Search: Voice search remains in fashion, but will bring little to most companies
Sorry, I have to mention this because we still see so often the silly recommendation that voice search is the number one trend that companies should focus on. If you look back, you may recall the oft-misquoted prediction from 2014 that “voice search will account for 50% of all search queries by 2020.” Well, it’s 2020, and it’s still widely advertised, and, of course, the use of smart speakers has increased significantly, but the reality is that voice queries on mobile devices and computers have minimal impact on the practical implementation of SEO for most companies.
I agree with Cameo Digital’s point of view, which explains the limited impact of voice search when they comment that, regardless of whether voice search is growing in popularity, the game remains virtually unchanged for optimizers. They explain that voice search is the use of a voice command to get the desired information from search engines using two types of voice search, each of which differs in the type of output. However, only the first one has to do with SEO:
- Type 1: When the user chooses to use voice commands rather than enter a query in Google. This is considered as a normal web search, the data of which will be collected in the Google Search Console, which is a natural SEO.
- Type 2: When the user chooses to use a voice command to receive a voice response. There are so many smart speakers like Google Home and Amazon Alexa. These searches are not registered in the Google Search Console and have very little to do with SEO.
In this way, companies can benefit from any changes in voice-based search behavior by focusing on the core principles of SEO, such as keyword search, on-page optimization best practices, structured data, and creating quality content with a high level of competence and trust to adapt to changes in search. behavior, including more conversational queries.
Recommendation 4. Paid Search: Carefully evaluate machine learning optimizations
Although the study shows that the vast majority of companies say they do not use machine learning internally, many will use it as an external service because it is a big part of organic and paid search and, in particular, offers options in Google Ads.
You may have noticed that the prefix “SMART” is associated with an increasing number of Google services. The goal is to help companies cope with the complexity of ad targeting in order to increase ROI, as well as, of course, protect Google’s advertising revenue. Some of them should be treated with caution. For example, Smart Goals in Analytics evaluates a positive marketing result, and not the company that determines it, which is preferable.
Smart campaigns have been introduced in Google Ads to simplify the complex process of managing Google ads for small businesses. However, there are big drawbacks to limited vision and control of campaigns, which means that small businesses can outperform this solution.
Some see the use of AI as a reduction in control, and they have reason to doubt the return on investment. But, in my opinion, companies should implement machine learning and develop the skills necessary to understand it. For example, Google’s smart auctions can help manage auctions in large inventories in Google Shopping.(You can read more about artificial intelligence and its development in 2020 in our article at the link)
Recommendation 5. Testing advertising optimization becomes more and more difficult as advertising platforms grow
With more than two-thirds of digital advertising spending currently coming from Facebook and Google, optimization on these platforms is becoming increasingly important. However, a study conducted by the Boston Consulting Group shows that only 9% of marketers can accurately predict the impact of a 10% change in marketing spending.
The use of attribution and ad optimization is becoming increasingly important for understanding complex customer routes on mobile and desktop devices and various ad placements. Facebook Instagram Facebook ads, for example, can appear in a variety of places, such as in the Facebook news feed, during Instagram stories, on reels or in instant articles. These Facebook IQ case studies show how more advanced companies are working to optimize ads by using Facebook’s new ad placement setup to achieve their goals.